What Causes Rabbits to Have Diarrhea?
Are you not sure about what causes rabbits to have diarrhea? Many fellows are concerned about their rabbit’s health. In this article, our editors have explained complete details for diarrhea in rabbits.
For those of you who don’t know that rabbits have a very special kind of digestive system and are prone to get issues like diarrhea. This can be very deadly for them and they can die for severe dehydration.
The decreased fiber content in food, antibiotics abuse, less water intake, wrong diet plan, and gastrointestinal disturbances are among the leading causes of diarrhea in rabbits.
A rabbit produces 2 types of poop such as cecotropes and feces. When you talk about diarrhea this involved watery element and in adult rabbits, it occurs very late than young ones.
- 1 What Causes Rabbits to Have Diarrhea?
- 2 Foods good for rabbits in diarrhea:
- 3 How to prevent diarrhea in rabbits?
- 4 4 signs that show rabbit diarrhea condition:
- 5 Baby rabbit and adult rabbit diarrhea treatment:
- 6 How do I know if rabbit diarrhea is gone?
What Causes Rabbits to Have Diarrhea?
You don’t need to get confused because of seeing soft poop can easily be treated with some dietary changes at home.
It is time to give your rabbit pet extra care, bathe it when dirty, keeping the environment neat, and stress-free.
Many pet owners have complained about rabbits dropping poops in different stages. But have you ever thought about how you can find true diarrhea in them and begin treating right away? Rabbits have a complex digesting system and diarrhea occurs in water form.
When you see hard feces matter with some watery drops then it is soft cecotropes. Real diarrhea in an adult rabbit is rare and only occurs in young rabbits and it can be a life-threatening emergency as well.
A) Normal cecotropes look like a bunch of grapes and are quite common in adult’s rabbits.
B) Soft cecotropes are pointed out with thicker pudding and soft blobs that stick with young and home rabbits with a foul odor.
Some common causes of diarrhea in rabbits:
We have gathered some useful information to determine true diarrhea in rabbits of all ages and its causes such as,
- Inappropriate use of antibiotics
- Overload of carbohydrates
- Insufficient amount of fiber
- Wrong diet plan
- Environment stress
- Genetic predisposing
- Toxin effect from plants and heavy metal
- GI neoplasia cancer
- Liver, kidney or chronic diseases
- Infection caused by a virus or bacteria
Foods good for rabbits in diarrhea:
In this case when your rabbit is in bad shape then the first thing you need is to provide him with the best food in his diet that serves as to give the right amount of nutrients in every 48 hours.
There is no need to make a fuss about this, you can choose green foods because they are best and you should add three types of them on your pet’s diet plan.
Rabbit with soft feces will great improvement but only if you begin giving him right away. It is a saying that precaution is better than cure so here you have it folks choose any of them including,
- Dandelion greens
- Leaf lettuce
Healthy treatment foods for young rabbits:
After your rabbit is returned to normal stool then you can begin to treat him with some healthy foods like fruits as a treat with a minimum amount of them to combine and feed him such as,
- Kiwi fruits
- Edible flowers
Special note: these above-mentioned foods will help lower diarrhea symptoms.
How to prevent diarrhea in rabbits?
Preventing diarrhea in a rabbit is not simple, but still, there are some effective treatment you can utilize for dietary and hygienic measures to help prevent diarrhea and give the rabbit a chance to stay healthy this includes,
1) Their diet needs to combine with high fiber snacks
2) Keep the rabbit hutch clean and keep changing their fodder daily
3) Provides rabbits with a constant supply of fresh and water and hay
4) Give them quiet environments
5) Must change their dietary needs
6) Keep an eye on their physical behavior
7) Only serve foods which are organic, safe, and clean
8) Try to keep the rabbit serving dishes clean
Can young rabbits die from diarrhea?
Unfortunately, young rabbits can die of having diarrhea. The reason is simple of suffering too much dehydration that can result in fluids and not able to adsorbs any food from the gut. But rabbits that are treated in time can have good remission.
4 signs that show rabbit diarrhea condition:
- Rabbit with soft cecotropes (normal)
- Rabbit with diarrhea still eat (can be treated)
- Rabbit with diarrhea not eating (dangerous situation)
- Baby rabbit with diarrhea (death situation)
Baby rabbit and adult rabbit diarrhea treatment:
There are some useful treatments you can perform to make sure your rabbit is out of danger of diarrhea. These methods are quite easy and give you 100% satisfaction once implemented for both baby and adult rabbits.
- Add iodine to the drinking water for the first two weeks, works for a rabbit of any age.
- Add oats in their meal and feed unlimited good quality helps prevent diarrhea quickly
- For baby, rabbit go with a slow breeder of drinking and eating
- Give him a dry bath
- Slowly increase the dose of food in recovery state
- Switch to seed and nuts to pallets
- Use vet instructed medications ( it will help to make the immune system strong of baby rabbit)
How do I know if rabbit diarrhea is gone?
Once you start to take caring of the rabbit and implement these treatment methods then you will see in 3 to 4 weeks his bowels will be hard and normal. The rabbit will be more active and feel happy, excited and affectionate towards you.
The abdominal region will response fast and you can change its diet pan whenever you like.
These are some real facts about what causes rabbits to have diarrhea in the first place. Just remember being a pet owner do comes with a lot of responsibilities and you need to take care of him in every way possible.
Every disease has a cure but when you treat it with care and follow instructions then you don’t need to see veterinarian so soon. Apply the treatments on rabbits and give them a happy enjoyable life.
- Why rabbits dig holes?
- Is your Bunny Happy?
- What Can Rabbits Chew on for their Teeth
- What to Feed Baby Rabbits Without a Mother?
- When do Baby Bunnies Leave the Nest?
- When Can you Separate Baby Rabbits from Mother?
- What to Put in Bottom of Rabbit Cage?
- Why is my Rabbit Eating her Babies?
- Why is My Rabbit Biting Me?